For me, eliminating all animal products is what brought my body to a state of BLISS. I am not going to tell you that that is the only way for EVERYone so please honor YOUR own body, it speaks very loudly if you just listen!
Radical diets that consist of one type of food, one drink, severely low-cal, low or no-carb (there are good carbs that are absolutely VITAL), blah, blah, blah (unless you are juice fasting for a few days to give your system a rest or doing the Master Cleanse to eliminate KIDNEY STONES, not starve yourself) - have been scientifically proven to create major health opportunities. These DIE-ts primarily appeal to those who would rather lose weight (water) quickly while unknowingly starting a path of destruction consisting of starvation, quick weight loss and quick weight gain back and then some. It's exhausting even talking about it.
The single most effective thing that I have learned after decades of trying everything:
If you eat a variety of WHOLE foods and moderately exercise, your "need" to diet will cease to exist. It is truly that simple. Not to say that it is easy at first, (preservatives, dead, modified foods are indeed addictive but I promise you, your taste-buds WILL change and thank you) but once you get it, you will know a new FREEDOM.
And then you can be happy, as will everyone else around you who is probably pretty concerned and/or exhausted about your food (or lack of) obsession. I've been there, I get it.
When I declared myself a vegetarian at the tender age of 16, my "food" consumption consisted of New York's finest: pretzels, bagels, pizza with the cheese removed (shout out to Gino's in Long Beach, NY) and my favorite, canned french green beans loaded with sodium. C'mon, a girl needs her "veggies."
I became plagued with anemia, electrolyte imbalance and aspartame poisoning (from an occasional diet soda and daily sugarless gum!) over the next several years. I did what the medical community suggested - I was ordered to eat chicken and fish for "protein" (red meat was never an option for me) and told that artificial sweeteners were my friend, that sugar was poison - I truly believed they were educated about nutrition, I mean, they were doctors after all!! I continued to suffer digestive issues, endometriosis, cystic acne, panic attacks and the list goes on...
Fast forward to the last several years of finding a perfect balance of 80 percent raw, 100 percent vegan, and my otherwise mostly-balanced lifestyle (no, I am not perfect) made even easier for me by having Sunrider plant-based whole food shakes and live-enzyme teas to round it out.
So as I often mention, I go to the Optimum Health Institute annually and just spent 3 consecutive weeks this past January/February. As always, I learned some very valuable new information, this time from the darling Executive Chef Paul. I shared with him that I had been indulging in the Sesame Tofu from Whole Foods in an alarmingly addictive fashion for the 2 months prior to my OHI "reset the system" retreat and while I knew tofu was not so great, I was concerned that my menstrual cycle was completely out of whack during these 2 months and was pretty sure there was a connection...
Processed soy is a big "AVOID" food. It is genetically engineered (that even sounds so wrong). Yes, I knew this, but wasn't it "better than?"... maybe for some, but not this lightweight. Truth is, for me, if I am going out of my way to get something which is not making me feel amazing, I should probably STOP. My endocrine system was not a happy camper. Hormones gone awry.
So the subject of CHIA came up. Chia is incredible for everyone, and for women, CHIA is a hormonal balancing DREAM. PMS, Peri and Post Menopause symptoms, BE GONE!!
CHIA!! Yes, the very same seed that creates your Chia Pets. Except, the infomercials never mentioned what a superfood CHIA truly is.
Let's just say, it is changing me on so many levels and I use it daily and in everything now. So here's a list of the benefits of CHIA.
Oh my favorite fun fact before we get this party started: Chia is organic no matter what. It naturally repels pests (as does QUINOA fyi) so you do not need to specifically buy organic. It just is. So there. Moving on:
Chia is LOADED with Omega-3's, Fiber, Antioxidants. YAY!!
Chia is the richest PLANT-source of Omega-3 oil...by weight, chia contains more Omega-3 than salmon which is uber-important for heart and cholesterol health. And you don't have to worry about mercury poisoning or eating something with a face to get your Omegas!! It even has more Omega-3 then flax seed.
Chia's unique gelling action keeps you full for hours! Once it is exposed to water, it forms a coating of gel, increasing it's size up to 12 times it's weight in water! Soothing to the digestive tract and beneficial in keeping the body hydrated and maintaining electrolyte balance. For those who want to release weight, this is a DREAM!!
Provides LOTS of ENERGY!! Great for athletes!! Great for EVERYbody!! Chia is one of nature's highest plant-based sources of COMPLETE protein (which raises your energy levels). The combination of complete protein, vitamins, minerals and blood-sugar balancing gel all work together to make sure you have steady energy. Marathon runners: Chia down the hatch works wonders when you are losing steam!! ZING!!
Balances Blood Sugar - important for both health and energy levels (not to mention eliminating vicious food binging to try to bring your body into a balanced state). By balancing your blood sugar, you not only lower your risk of Type 2 Diabetes, you also ensure steady, constant energy throughout your day. If you eat chia with a meal, it will help you turn your food into constant, steady energy rather then ups and downs, highs and lows...
Full of fiber!! Each seed is coated with soluble fibers. The exterior of the seed is protected by insoluble fiber. The insoluble fiber is unable to be digested so instead it keeps the food moving through the digestive process. Soluble fibers and the gel coating of the seed keep the colon hydrated and ensures easy movement of food.
Extremely high in antioxidants. At room temperature, they'll stay fresh and ready to eat for over 2 years WITHOUT a SINGLE CHEMICAL or preservative! Antioxidants help prevent free-radical damage in your body. Fight free radical damage with nature's POWERHOUSE...Ch-Ch Chia!
Add CALCIUM to your food by sprinkling on the Chia. By weight, it has more calcium than whole milk (BARF)! It also has magnesium and boron, essential trace minerals used in the absorption of calcium and other vitamins. Helps CURB CRAVINGS that might tempt you.
Chia has no taste of it's own and will never cover up or add flavor to your food. They take on the taste of your own delicious recipes and magnify the taste of whatever they are added to when they hydrate! Put them in soup, pudding, smoothies, on salads, in lemonade, dressings, dips, salsas, sauces and virtually everything!
I add Chia to my smoothies to bring it to a pudding-like consistency. It is so filling with ZERO extra calories or fat. I add it to my fresh-squeezed lemonade with a little squirt of stevia for a refreshing, filling fresca...I recently added it to my vegan muffin recipe and the list goes on...experiment and enjoy the BENEFITS!!
So more than a pet, CHIA could be your best new friend...let me know your favorite recipes and have FUN!!
xo
Hi Sheri! Thanks for the inspiration to keep eating clean! I need it. That's so awesome you had such a wonderful your time at OHI this year! I hope to go someday. (=
ReplyDeleteI LOVE CHIA!!! I went to the store this morn to buy some and checked out without it (no worries...have to go back today:). I eat it in the morning in smoothies or pancakes or porridge and find it to be one of the best blood sugar stabilizers. And the best egg replacer! My favorite way to use it is in Teff-Cacao Pancakes (which are dark and dense but will not weigh you down!).
Keep sharing the goodness! You are an inspiration and so gifted at being able to share from your experience to encourage people to change. It works for me!
Lots of love,
Waller
Waller, please share the recipe for your pancakes!! Sounds AMAZING!! You are an amazing inspiration as well xoxo
ReplyDelete